Tuesday, May 17, 2011

crepe paper flowers~

So, I have seen these around and I thought I would give it a whirl; crepe paper flowers, have you seen them?  They are sooooo easy and CHEAP! :) 


These paper flowers can be used as decorations in a bowl, on the table, and they are really pretty on wrapped packages.  I could see the white ones on a wedding gift.  I am pretty limited to the colors of crepe paper I have here in town....as you can see....pink, purple and white!

Okay, so this is how it goes....I am so bad at tutorials, so please bear with me! :)

You start out with 3 strips of crepe paper 3 feet long.



Okay, not so hard, right! ? :)  So I made up a bunch, and had them ready.


Next, head to your sewing machine. Set your sewing machine on the longest stitch(loosen your tension), like what you would set it at to make a ruffle. 



Then start sewing down the edge.  HINT..... Sew closer to the edge than what is shown here! Right away, you will start to see the crepe paper start to ruffle.



Ewww, blurry, sorry.  But this is how they will look, you don't have to pull your thread to ruffle, they will just do it on their own. 


Okay, then take the flower and separate the 3 pieces, here i used a white with the purple, I thought that might look kind of different. After you separate them, then you start rolling them...... HINT....Don't roll too tight, let them be loose!



Ewww..... blurry again.....sorry, I was trying to multi task.... I am making supper at the same time as crafting.



See how loose it is? Don't worry, it works out.  You need to hot glue the end of the flower to the flower (does that make sense?) Then on the bottom you will hot glue a few pieces of crepe paper to the bottom.


You can also trim the thread.  Flip it over and waaallllaaa! You made a flower. 



I like the white ones, how they are really spread out.  I think when I make more, I may try using more pieces instead of just 3 and see how that looks.  These would also look great on a wreath too.

So, I hope you try them, they are so easy and very cheap! Hopefully you can find more colors that I what I have available.  I can imagine lots of very pretty colors, maybe even use some green and make some leaves around the bottom???

Hope you had a great day; I better get back to supper!
Jodi
Pin It

9 comments:

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hey Jodi...these are very cute...I have seen them on other blogs but never with a tutorial. Great job. I was checking a few blogs to see if anyone else was missing their followers...I see you are too. Wonder what blogger has done with them??? Have a great evening...~Ann

Dawn said...

Super cute, thanks for the tut:)

LrSchwtz said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for linking up on Laugh, Love, and Craft's Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! Laura

Unknown said...

Um, this is brilliant! I love the idea!

Carolyn said...

These are so cool! I need a reason to make some now! LOL!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

These are beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up to my "BFF" link party!

Sam | Away She Went said...

Those are so cute! What a great idea! I'm going to add these to my list of projects.

Shabby Soul said...

I just made a smaller set of crepe paper flowers but used a folding & turning technique. I love the large size of these!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

these are oh so cute!! :)